Sky-blue Flower - Mihai Eminescu

"Are you deep again in the galaxy
In those clouds and the blue canopy?
Dear love, you must never forget me,
For your soul is life to me!

You build yourself images in vain
With lava rivers in the sun,
Plains of the Assyrian
Or the deepest, darkest ocean;

Time-worn pyramids, forcing
Massive peaks into the morning -
Don't go that far, searching
For happiness, my darling."

The young girl stopped chattering,
And stroked my hair smooth.
Ah! I knew it was the truth;
But just laughed, said nothing.

"Come where the wood's all green,
To where springs weep to the valley,
And the large rock hangs ready
To drop to the great ravine.

There close to the eye of the trees
Where the pool is calm and clear,
Under the still rushes there,
We'all sit on blackberry leaves.

And you'll say sweet words so wittily,
Your little mouth telling love-lies;
While I with a daisy shall surmise
How much you really love me.

And because the sun is burning
I shall be red as an apple,
And let golden hair topple
To stop those lips from talking.

And if you were to kiss my hair,
No one would ever discover
For it would always be hidden under
My hat, and who will care?

And when the moon is shining through
The branches of a summer night
You'll hold me in your arms, tight,
And I'll nestle close to you.

On a path under vaulted bowers,
When starting back home to the glen,
We'll kiss each other again and again
Just as sweetly as hidden flowers.

And when we reach the bounds of the gate,
We'll whisper together in the darkness,
No one will be thereto worry about us,
Who cares such love is my fate!"

One more kiss - then gone... After
I stand, like stone in the moonlight,
Oh, how wild are those eyes, and bright,
And so blue, my sweetest flower!

And then sweet wonder, you left,
Love died after that hour -
My flower! My sky-blue flower!
And now the whole world's bereft!

Floare albastră
English translation by Brenda Walker 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Most Reading