A Dacian's Prayer - Mihai Eminescu


When there was no death, nor immortality,
Nor any seeds of light for life's entity,
There was no today, or tomorrow, yesterday, or forever,
Because life springs from one and everything was together,
When the whole earth, the sky, the air, and sea
Were among those things which had yet to be -
There was only You! So I find myself asking:
Who is this god to whom we'are all praying?

He was alone, the only god, there was no other
And for life's spark drew power from vastness of water.
He gave souls to other gods, and happiness to his creation,
Remaining for mankind the source of their salvation:
Lift up your hearts! Praise him in your belief,
He is the death of death, the resurrection of life.

And he gave me eyes so I could see the light,
And a heart that filled at every pitiable sight.
I heard his footsteps when the wind was whining,
And his loving words, in the voice of a song, -
But despite all these gifts I have one more request:
Allow me the gift of eternal rest!

Let him curse all those who now would pity me,
Let him bless those determined to oppress me,
Let him listen to any mouth that wants to insult me,
And put strength into the arm that's about to kill me,
And make first among men, he that when I'm dead
Would rob me of the stone they place at my head.

And let them chase me through life, let them harass me
Until I feel the tear ducts of my eyes empty,
And each man in this world to be my sworn enemy,
Until I no longer recognise my own body,
Until feelings turn to stone after so much agony,
Until I curse my mother, whom once I loved dearly -
For if cruel hate turned to the love that I deny,
Perhaps I'd forget suffering, and then could die.

Let me die a stranger, alone in banishment,
Let them throw my worthless corpse wherever they want.
Let the dogs rip out my heart, and to the man who incites them,
To him, Father, - give a golden diadem.
But the one who would stone my face to disfigure me,
On him, Lord, take pity. Let him live eternally.

And only then can I thank you, dear Father,
For allowing me the chance to live on this sphere.
But I'm not going to kneel and plead for gifts from you,
Just hatred and curses are what I really beg of you,
And to feel that in your breath my own breath will cease,
Then vanish in eternal emptiness, without trace!

Rugăciunea unui dac
English translation by Brenda Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Most Reading