Oh, Stay - Mihai Eminescu

"Oh stay here, stay with me,
For I love you so much!
I'm the one who hears your longings,
I'm the only one you trust;"

In the eery haziness of twilight
You seem to take the disguise
Of some prince who fathoms water
With his deep, sad, dark eyes.

For against the sound of rough waves
And grass bowing low to the crags,
I've helped you hear in secret
The canter of passing stags.

I've watched you, a changeling,
Humming softly in a dream,
While streching out a naked leg
To the sparkle of a stream.

And when you see the full moon
Across the cold blaze of a lake,
Your years seem only moments,
Sweet moments long years take."

Said the wood, in a hushed whisper,
As its arches swayed above me -
In answer I just whistled
Then rushed out merrily.

But today even if I did return
I'd only hear the emptiness.
Where are you now, childhood days,
Your wood, all you possess?

O, rămâi
English translation by Brenda Walker 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Most Reading